Wednesday, August 5, 2009

More Zucchini...

This week so far has been all about the zucchini. Yesterday I had 6 lbs. of zucchini that I turned into 12 loaves of wonderful bread, using this FANTASTIC zucchini bread recipe. I also found a yummy zucchini bar recipe from a cookbook that I've had for years. This particular recipe may be a bit more fall-ish flavor, but since it's a tasty one, I think you can make this anytime of year. I loved the idea of the frosting recipe that went along with it, but found it a bit too sweet, so I've modified it to be less sweet and hey, how can you go wrong with a new and improved icing that contains cream cheese? You can't.


*Jill's notes, tips & comments in this color.

Zucchini Bars
Adapted from Betty Crocker's Best of Baking, pg. 150

Yields = 2 dozen bars


2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
*a dash of freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup shredded zucchini, drained
1/2 cup chopped nuts *I used walnuts, but pecans would also work.

1) Heat oven to 350 degrees f. Grease square pan (I used a 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan, but an 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan would also work).

2) Mix brown sugar, butter, egg and vanilla together, using the paddle attachment. Mix till combined; don't over mix.

3) Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and stir into butter and sugar mixture.

4) Fold in zucchini and nuts and when ingredients are combined, spread batter into pan.

5) Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely; then frost with cream cheese spice frosting.



Cream Cheese Spice Frosting

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/8 tsp. ground cloves *Trust me, cloves totally take the frosting up a notch--you'll thank me.
2-3 Tbsp. milk

1) Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla till smooth.

2) Add powdered sugar, cloves and milk and mix till smooth and of spreading consistency.

11 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of zucchini.....but the bars look very good. It would be a lot easier if I could just stop in and pick some up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a little like carrot cake...is it as sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, yummy! Cream cheese icing goes perfect with zucchini sweets. They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hyker: I'll get back to you with a price. :)

    Threads: Not as sweet as carrot cake, but very similiar in texture--I think you'd like it. :)

    Jacque: Thanks and I totally agree about the cream cheese icing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love zucchini breads and cakes... these bars look really decadent and tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of zucchini bread! I like the sound of zucchini bars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Sounds like another great way to use up all that zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I love zucchini cake, and zucchini bars sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kirby!: Thanks! I love both as well.

    Kevin: It was a lot of zucchini bread, and I sold some loaves at the Farmer's Market. :)

    Kate: It was and I'm already looking forward to the next batch from the garden. :)

    Y: Both cake and bars are yummy, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 12 loaves of bread and THEN you made bars on top of that? I'm so impressed. Have more zucchini than I know what to do with now, thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2 dozen bars from an 8 x 8 pan? Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete